What is metabolic syndrome?
Metabolic syndrome is a collection of heart disease risk factors that increase your chance of developing heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. The condition is also known by other names including Syndrome X, insulin resistance syndrome, and dysmetabolic syndrome. According to a national health survey, more than one in five Americans has metabolic syndrome.
The number of people with metabolic syndrome increases with age, affecting more than 40 percent of people in their 60s and 70s.
What are these health risks?
You are diagnosed with metabolic syndrome if you have three or more of the following:
• A waistline of 40 inches or more for men and 35 inches or more for women (measured across the belly)
• A blood pressure of 130/85 mm Hg or higher or are taking blood pressure medications
• A triglyceride level above 150 mg/dl
• A fasting blood glucose (sugar) level greater than 100 mg/dl or are taking glucose-lowering medications
• A high density lipoprotein level (HDL) less than 40 mg/dl (men) or under 50 mg/dl (women)
The Obesity/Metabolic Syndrome Clinic consists of a team of clinicians to treat this illness. When patients are seen in the Obesity/Metabolic Syndrome Clinic, they are evaluated first by a TCM practitioner or Exercise Therapist and a weight loss plan is set in place. This assessment includes a complete overview of their diseases and what they can expect with as little as a 5-10% weight loss. They are then referred to the dietitian or Massage Therapist, if necessary, appointments are made with the Counsellor. Monthly visits are also established with the TCM practitioner so the patient’s progress can be monitored.
If you are interested in participating of Metabolic Syndrome and medical supervised weight loss program, you can call 02 9482 3080